Packaging Designer, Experience Design Group - Austin, TX - 2018-03-05
Why Work at Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
Packaging Designer – Austin, TX
Enterprise Design Group (EDG) Overview
Live and breathe Design? Are finding key concepts hidden deep in world requirements second nature? Want to create elegant Design solutions to complex problems that change the status quo? Sound intriguing? Feel compelled to just design-things-right in your everyday life, just for the sake of it? Then read on. We’re looking for members to join EDG and help create industry changing designs for Dell and the future. You need to be an expert in all things visually digital, with a major strength & focus in solving design problems through simple to understand visual explanations, and the desire & talent to produce highest quality design at every opportunity. Help craft a simple, beautiful, brand-defining experiences - always having an eye to how things could & should be… Showcase your creative talents built over your years of work experience and make us forget what it was like before you joined the team.
Overview of position
The Packaging Execution Designer joins a small design team and will work cross-functionally with global teams from package engineering and operations to executive leadership. The purpose of this role is to ensure high-level design language and structural standards are implemented into regional versions of packaging; ensuring core team alignment of the design; troubleshooting design issues in production; and enabling mechanical art production with a style guide for the product category.
This role requires a results-oriented design professional, preferably with experience in global packaging operations, artwork production and photo files. Successful candidate thrives on working as part of a team or on independent projects across diverse functional areas. Works closely with front-end package designer to implement design strategy across consumer retail product offerings. Responsible for supporting program manager and regional core teams with graphic representations of packaging to be produced on tight timelines.
It is critical to be an operations and team partner who is thoughtful/deliberate about assessing all impacts when developing and implementing solutions to remedy internal challenges. You’ll serve as a strategic partner to stakeholders, providing creative leadership and managing to critical brand standards, guidelines, requirements and compliance measures to ensure successful delivery of projects. Our top candidates are comfortable being uncomfortable with multiple simultaneous projects while staying organized and maintaining focus and a cool-head in a fast-paced environment, have the ability to quickly understand strategy, evaluate unique problems, take decisive action, and respond/negotiate with stakeholders for aligned outcome.
- Drive cross-functional design alignment by holding design reviews, interpreting and negotiating design requests to incorporate into design to be produced
- Own package regional execution of the existing baseline design during pre-production phase of the package design process, covering regional adaptations, Style Guide updates; and design decisions in production, through the post-production troubleshooting with print suppliers
- Content owner of design guidance in the Execution Style Guides, Production Guides, and specification documentation
- Provide photo art direction to design layout to the cross-functional photo studio; review, provide feedback, and approve final photography for packaging
- Champion and maintain packaging design language, brand standards and design production best practices with internal and external teams
- Complete design projects within internal schedules provided by the Packaging Project or Program Manager
- Create digital 3D packaging mock ups and compile with comparison items in a presentation for leadership review (training provided)
- Manage weekly internal Packaging Creative Meeting for design topics
- Help brainstorm with the team in the creative phase and represent execution-specific considerations
- Liaise with mechanical art suppliers and printers, for new design and/or troubleshooting with digital files and physical printed samples
- Help to maintain our extensive digital asset library of branded resource art, photography and templates, enabling the team to self-serve, share and collaborate with each other
- Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design plus 6+ years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of experience and instruction
- Intermediate knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite - specifically Illustrator and Photoshop; MS Office
- Intermediate level of knowledge in mechanical art layout, typography, color palettes and knowledge of print processes
- Knowledge of package structure design for external box and internal support components
- Extreme ownership for accuracy and attention to detail for design excellence and governance through Style Guide documentation and packaging approvals
- Decisive, strong communicator for problem solving, cross-functional alignment and execution readiness
- Proactive, autonomous, and resourceful work style
- Consumer electronics and knowledge of packaging requirements in sales channels experience
- Minimum of 5+ years consumer products packaging experience
Listen. Learn. Deliver. That’s what we’re about.
Dell empowers countries, communities, customers and people everywhere to use technology to realize their dreams. Customers trust us to deliver technology solutions that help them do and achieve more, whether they’re at home, work, school or anywhere in their world. Learn more about our story, purpose and people behind our customer-centric approach.
Why work with us?
- Life at Dell means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology.
- When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution.
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships.
- We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential.
- Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.